Home Forums Power Update User Account Control (UAC) and Power Update

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  C Floyd 9 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

C Floyd
    • Started: 1
    • Replies: 3
    • Total: 4

I thought I would share some thoughts on User Access Control and why Power Update requires admin access.

UAC
    A lot of companies has implemented UAC to prevent users from installing viruses, trojan horses, and unwanted programs on their computer. The way this work is that if you try to install a program, Windows will prompt for and Administrator user, and it will run the install as that user. No Admin rights, no install.

When you have installed Power Update, and are ready to schedule your first job, PU will “act on behalf” of you as the logged in user, when starting the scheduled refresh. This means if a SQL Data Source for your Power Pivot requests credentials, Power Update will pass your logged in credentials to the server.

For this reason, you need to turn off UAC when you schedule your jobs, but you can set it back again when you are done.
    (If not, Power Update will schedule the job as the Administrator user, and that user might not have access to the SQL or datasource you are pulling from).

Administrator Rights:
    So why does Power Update require you to have administrator rights when you schedule your job. The answer is easy: Windows Task Scheduler requires Admin Right to schedule a task.

After you have scheduled your task, you may go ahead and remove those rights as they are not required for running the scheduled task.

For more info, email me at [email protected]

Happy Scheduling!

Christian

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Power Update’ is closed to new topics and replies.