Home Forums Power Pivot Summing by Several Conditions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  daievans 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

daievans
    Participant
    • Started: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 2

For example I have a dataset with Account Number, Model, Verison and Assets among the fields. I want to sum the Assets by Account Number, Model and Version – do I use Calculate or SUMX?

I have the complete PowerPivot library so if you can think of a s[specific area i should be focusing on, please advise.

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Hello daievans,

I think the choice in your case is more like: When should I use SUMX (or maybe SUM) alone and when should I use SUMX inside of CALCULATE?

What will your pivots and charts look like (form follows function, but sometimes form is part of the function)?

Also, curious if you are using Excel 2010 or Excel 2013 (may affect which machine I use when I answer subsequent questions)?

daievans
    Participant
    • Started: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 2

Thanks for clarifying, Tom. I am using Excel 2010.

I run a variety of “models” and “versions” which store their output in an Access Table. For each account number, the Assets are Totaled. What I don’t want to occur is to Sum the Assets many times over – I’d like to Sum Assets by Account Number and Model and Version – I’ll try to get you some sample data – I’ll need to sanitize it for public consumption!

It’s been a while since I used PowerPivot and I don’t have the luxury of having anyone else around here who is using it to brainstorm with, so greatly appreciate your willingness to give me a hearing, even though I’m garbled!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Summing by Several Conditions’ is closed to new replies.