Home Forums Power Pivot Return the sum based on two dates

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tomallan 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

John Fetherolf
    Participant
    • Started: 4
    • Replies: 9
    • Total: 13

I want to calculate the sales for each of our sales reps during their first 90 days with the company. In the table [Sales Rep Data] I have a column called [Hire Date]. In the table [Order Header] I have a column called [Invoice Date]. In the table [Order Detail] I have a column called [Sales].

When the [Invoice Date] – [Hire Date] is less than 91, I want the sum of the sales. Here is what I tried: First 90 Day Sales=CALCULATE([Sales],(‘Order Header'[Invoice Date]-‘Sales Rep Data'[Hire Date]) < 91)

But it returns this error message: Calculation error in measure ‘Order Item Detail'[90 Days Sales]: The expression contains multiple columns, but only a single column can be used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression.

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

John,

There are many ways to create filters in DAX, but the means you have chosen (a “top level filter” inside CALCULATE) is meant only to filter a single column. It has a lot to do with the data model is based on a columnar (not a row-based) database.

You mention that [Sales] is a column, but you use it like it is a measure (if a column and not a measure, you need to tell the formula engine how to aggregate the data, for example SUM ( ‘Order Detail'[Sales] ).

If you are using Power Pivot (and not Power BI Desktop with bi-directional filtering set) you might also have a problem with a calculation using columns from two tables that are probably not directly related to each other.

Without seeing your model, and also assuming that [Sales] is a column in the ‘Order Detail’ table (not a measure), you will probably get better results with a measure like:

First 90 Day Sales =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Order Detail'[Sales] ),
        FILTER (
            'Order Detail',
            RELATED ( 'Order Header'[Invoice Date] )
                - RELATED ( 'Sales Rep Data'[Hire Date] )
                < 91
        )
    )

John Fetherolf
    Participant

Thanks – that worked perfect.

I thought I could easily modify this for the second part of my project – sales for days 91 thru 180. How would I create a second measure called [Sales Days 91 thru 180)

tomallan
    Keymaster

In this case, are you using Excel 2013, 2016 or Power BI Desktop?

John Fetherolf
    Participant

I’m using Excel 2016

John Fetherolf
    Participant

here is an image of the data model diagram view. There is around 5Million order header records and over 50Million Order Item detail records

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

tomallan
    Keymaster

Excel 2016 allows for variables, which often allows formulas to execute faster.

Try this:

Sales for Days 91 Thru 180 :=
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Order Detail'[Sales] ),
        FILTER (
            'Order Detail',
            VAR vDaysSinceHire = 1.0 * ( RELATED ( 'Order Header'[Invoice Date] ) - RELATED ( 'Sales Rep Data'[Hire Date] ) ) RETURN
            AND ( vDaysSinceHire >= 91, vDaysSinceHire <= 180 )
        )
    )

The line that starts with VAR and ends with RETURN is the definition of the variable.

The line with AND could have been written instead (without the AND) as

vDaysSinceHire >= 91 && vDaysSinceHire <= 180

The advantage here of using a variable is the days since hire would be calculated once instead of twice for every row in the order detail table.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Power Pivot’ is closed to new topics and replies.