Home Forums Power Pivot Question regarding Top X/TopN

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tomallan 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rhinofromTurkey
    Participant
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 7
    • Total: 7

I have a list of users who have logged in to my application and I’m using SQL Server.  I have  a separate table that collects the daily visitor’s GUIDs

Anyway the data is linked/merged/etc and appears as follows

UserA – May 14
    UserB – May 14
    UserC – May 14
    UserA – May 13
    UserD – May 13
    UserA – May 12
    UserD – May 12
    UserE – May 12

The count of the users is:

UserA – 3
    UserB -1
    UserC -1
    UserD – 2
    UserE -1

Now – I want to Rank and get a Top N – however the issue – I believe I have is that I am using Excel 2010 (organization is upgrading soon)

I’ve read several posts on powerpivotpro – but I cannot find a good way to get the Count to translate into a RANK and then have a slicer be able to be used for Top5/10/20/etc.

Is there a good way to approach this – I can use RANK as an excel function but not as a measure.  Do I have to do the old V1 way (stated in an old Rob Collie post)  OR is there an easier way??

I could do the old select the filter -> top N. But I want to make it more dynamic

Thoughts? Help

Thank you

Rhinmo

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Hello Rhino,

Just want to make sure I would be working with the right table. I think it is this one:

UserA – 3
    UserB -1
    UserC -1
    UserD – 2
    UserE -1

and not the first table?

and not this table:

tomallan
    Keymaster

Hi Rhino,

It can be done in Excel 2010. See attached worksheet.

In addition to what you can see in the formulas, I also used the Sort By for User on column that stored rank.

I learned how to do this from Rob Collie’s Comprehensive Power Pivot Course.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

rhinofromTurkey
    Participant

I have to upgrade my powerpivot version… :-/  – might be why I dont have the full functionality/feature-set

I’ll report back  (see how IT long IT admins take)…

Thank you for your time and effort

I took the 2 day course and I signed up for the 1 year membership to PPU… I’m learning something else now and will be getting to the PPU shortly.

I’m not sure which one you’re referring to?

tomallan
    Keymaster

Rhino,

It may be different now, but when I took a Rob Collie’s course at the Power Pivot University (PPU), the course was called “Comprehensive Power Pivot”.

rhinofromTurkey
    Participant

I used the sheet at home and the issue I have at work is the RANKX function is not available on v1 – which would make this a non-issue.

So my issue really is a non-issue… if I had the correct version of PowerPivot – thanks for your help

The “real world” examples I have to deal with make learning PowerPivot more exciting, since I get to see how far I can take the product and how to introduce new things I read about on the blog.

Thanks again

Rhino

tomallan
    Keymaster

Hello Rhino,

Remember to you can upgrade your work copy of Power Pivot also to the newest version.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Question regarding Top X/TopN’ is closed to new replies.