Home Forums Power Update PowerUpdate Fails to update frequently

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charlie 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Charlie
    Participant
    • Started: 1
    • Replies: 5
    • Total: 6

PowerUpdate fails to update the workbook and I think it is a timing problem – at times our server may be busier than at other times.  I have been watching the powerupdate work (I have Excel 2010) and I can see the powerpivot update all window, and records are being downloaded – then all of a sudden the powerpivot update window closes.  So I am wondering if PowerUpdate has an internal time limit that causes the update to stop say after 5 mins.  And if so, is there a way to extend that time limit?

Thanks

Charles
    • Started: 2
    • Replies: 34
    • Total: 36

Is Power Update using UI Automation to refresh your workbook (if yes what’s the last open window before Excel closes)?

What error message do you receive in View History?

What version of Power Update are you using (Control Panel\Programs\Power Update\Version)?

If the issue is occasional, you could try setting the Retry Count and Retry Wait settings in the Advanced Settings page of the update task wizard.

Charlie
    Participant

Yes it is using UI Automation

I believe the last window open is the Refresh All of PowerPivot – once it has been maximized

Error message: “One or more connections in workbook Store Needs + TXs Avail v2.2.xlsm failed to refresh. Please check messages related to individual connections for details.”

version 1.1.357 – although it has happened in previous versions

retry count is 4 and retry wait is 300

Charlie
    Participant

The workbook powerupdate is failing regularly so I now need to find a solution quickly – when I update it in PowerPivot, it updates without a problem and when I watch it in PowerUpdate, the update screen shows progress of x rows of data downloaded, so I can see it is working

So my suspicion is that it is a timing issue.

Can you confirm if there is a time limit on the powerupdate refresh when using UI automation?  And if so, how could one change it?

Thanks

Charles
    • Started: 2
    • Replies: 34
    • Total: 36

Although there’s no overall timeout for refreshing the workbook, there’s a timeout for finding labels and buttons on the UI, which might cause the problem.

Can you try increasing the RetryCount and WaitUIRetry settings in C:\Program Files\PowerPlanner\Power Update\PQRefresh.exe.config

Charlie
    Participant

The issue seems to be resolved – it has run error free for the last week.  I extended the wait to retry setting to 10 mins which should be sufficient for the workbook to finish updating and now things are running well

Thanks for the support

Charlie
    Participant

Further update – I am still having problems

I have subsequently increased the time to 1200 seconds and 3 repeats.

When I watch it working, it actually does finish the PowerPivot refresh successfully after about 10 mins, but this is not recognized by PowerUpdate and as such, the workbook is closed without saving

I should note that sometimes PowerUpdate does succeed, but more often powerupdate fails and I need it to work consistently

Please advise

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Power Update’ is closed to new topics and replies.