Home Forums Power Update How to avoid PowerQuery security/privacy prompts when using PU?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles 8 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Avi Singh
    Participant
    • Started: 5
    • Replies: 7
    • Total: 12

Hello,

Here is our setup

• Developers frequently update the Excel Power Query+Power Pivot Model (xlsx file) and when ready place it in the Production folder on the production server
    • Operations team is responsible for refreshing the Production Model.

So far the Operations team opens the file manually, clicks Refresh All, saves the document and then uploads it to an SSAS Tabular server. Painful! And something that Power Update can do. However we’re running into this issue.

Each time the “Developer” updates and saves a new copy of the model. The Operations team gets the security/privacy prompts.
    Is there a guideline/best practice/tip/hack/workaround…gosh anything that can help us avoid this?
    What I would really love for PU to be able to do is to be able to skip over some of these silly prompts. Answer them for me, please!
    But I’ll take anything which can help us get to the goal of PU running the refresh automatically.

Charles
    • Started: 2
    • Replies: 34
    • Total: 36

Hi Avi,

I think you can disable security/privacy prompts in Excel\PowerQuery\Options\Security\Require user approval for new native database queries and Excel\PowerQuery\Options\Privacy\Ignore Privacy levels. If you still get prompts after that please post a screenshot of them and we’ll try to handle them.

Avi Singh
    Participant
    • Started: 5
    • Replies: 7
    • Total: 12

Thanks Charles. Yes, indeed, that setting helps. But each time the development team places a new copy of the file, the operations team needs to open the file and change this setting. Argh!

The setting seems to be per file, per user basis. So this really makes it impossible for Operations team to schedule an automated PU refresh. Since Operations team does not control when Development may promote a new version to Production (quite frequently, agile BI 🙂 ). If Operation were to schedule an automated PU refresh, it starts failing when Dev places a new file.

Any way we could step around this issue?

Screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/GBZCPnX8

Charles
    • Started: 2
    • Replies: 34
    • Total: 36

If you update to the latest version by re-downloading the setup, it should take care of the Privacy window.
    You need to enable Options\Diagnostic Mode for this feature to work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Power Update’ is closed to new topics and replies.