Home Forums Power Pivot Column Relationships vs FILTER()

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tomallan 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

RonBarrett
    Participant
    • Started: 13
    • Replies: 12
    • Total: 25

I was studying Rob’s outstanding cheat sheet, “Power Pivot and Power BI: How the DAX Engine Calculates Measures“.

In it Rob advises to avoid “Multi-Hop” look-ups, if possible.  The advantage being better performance because a query isn’t hopping between tables, filtering them based upon relationship values, etc.  The advice is to create a combined lookup table that joins the two more dimension tables.

Okey-dokey.  So, here’s my question.  With a combined lookup table you can loose the one-to-many relationships between the fact table and a lookup table.  I believe a way around this would be to use the FILTER () function on the combined table based upon a value in the fact table.  Is filtering a combined lookup table faster in performance than using multi-hop table relationships?

Anyone have an idea?

Ron

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Ron,

You may be overcomplicating things. I have used snowflake schemas (multi-level dimension tables) and star schemas (single level dimension tables( in Power Pivot, and I have also converted snowflake schemas into star schemas like Rob recommends and I do not recall having to take the extra filtering step you are considering.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Power Pivot’ is closed to new topics and replies.