Home Forums Power Pivot Building a Power Pivot Cube from a SSAS Cube

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tomallan 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

bdeuce14
    Participant
    • Started: 11
    • Replies: 14
    • Total: 25

Our organization has several SSAS Cubes and I’ve started connecting to them via Power Query, transforming some of the data (splitting fields and creating custom columns), loading it as a connection and into the data model.

Normally I would run these reports in a different system, export them to .xslx workbook and then load them into powerquery/powerpivot.

Is connecting to a SSAS cube and then creating a new data model from that creating a new cube from a cube? Are there any performance implications?

I wish I had known about doing this sooner because I love it. The SSAS cube is maintained by our data warehouse team and requires minimal cleaning/shaping.

Thank you,

Brian

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Brian,

Excel (powerpivot) is an interesting case: when building a data model, power pivot exposes the model as tabular, but under the covers it is a multi-dimensional (OLAP/MDX) model. Because of this, you can write cube formulas in an Excel worksheet that query the Power Pivot data model.

This is different in Power BI, where the data model is foundationally a tabular model.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Power Pivot’ is closed to new topics and replies.