Home Forums Power Pivot Are You a Power Pivot User In Banking?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bkjohn2016 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mike Church
    Participant
    • Started: 7
    • Replies: 24
    • Total: 31

I want to connect with other Power Pivot users in the Banking industry.

While Most of the examples found in print and online are related to sales, our (banking) business models are more date, category (account) and balance centric than sales. And of course we have our own language as well…

It would be awesome if we could use this forum to leverage our Power Pivot experience.  If this describes you, please respond to this post by sharing how you utilize Power Pivot in your institution.  Hopefully this will spark conversation and possibly act as the incubator for a Banking Power Pivot user group some day.  Thanks!

Rhein
    Participant
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 1

Hello Mike,

I´m very interested in such a conversation. Although I don´t work in the banking industry, I´m a frequent user of Power Pivot for financial controlling, in particular based on the fundamental concepts described by David Churchward, f.e.:

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2011/09/profit-lossthe-art-of-the-cascading-subtotal/

Mike Church
    Participant
    • Started: 7
    • Replies: 24
    • Total: 31

Quite a meaty post.  I remember reading through a portion of that post some time ago.  I don’t work with P&L or Balance sheet data specifically from an accounting perspective however I can definitely see a correlation of the challenges of someone working with aggregating loan level data by various categories as I do with aggregating from a general ledger.  Have you built something similar to what’s described in the post?  Any hanging issues or items that you haven’t been able to solve?

comp
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I posted a question here and I was referred to your post here.

Did you manage to find Banking related examples?

bkjohn2016
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I worked in the banking industry for about 8 years in loan ops, various accounting roles as well as a business analyst.  I’ve used PowerPivot to calculate and create journal entries, reconcile investments, total loans and total deposits by product type and branch/cost center.  I’ve created models to capture ATM activity used by the marketing department, models for HR to calculate commissions for lenders, yield analysis models, variance analysis models, and trend analysis models for ALM .  I’ve calculated post-merger purchase accounting balances and created depreciation/amortization/accretion models for the respective balances.  At one point I received an audit request to “roll the bank”; which, is just taking a beginning trial balance and adding all the debits and credits to demonstrate that you arrive at the ending trial balance…the model spanned three years and captured 9 million transactions.  Yes, I’ve used PowerPivot in the banking industry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Power Pivot’ is closed to new topics and replies.