Home Forums Power Pivot 255 Column Limit with ACE 14 OLE DB Provider

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tomallan 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

RonBarrett
    Participant
    • Started: 13
    • Replies: 12
    • Total: 25

There’s a column limit issue I’ve run across that perhaps others have also.  It involves PowerPivot data source of an Excel workbook, CSV file, etc.  Apparently,  255 columns is the default (i.e. limit) for the ACE 14 OLE DB provider for Microsoft Access which is the provider used when your data source is a .csv or .xlsx file.

I encountered this issue while working to improve performance on a large dashboard application, which takes a few minutes to update.  The idea was to have a PowerPivot table in worksheet A do the aggregations.  There number of table columns is about 355.  A filtered pivot table in worksheet B would source to the aggregated results and drive the dashboard.  Unfortunately, the 255 column limit came up in two areas.  First, regular Excel pivot tables have a 255 column limit.  Second, PowerPivot connecting to .xlsx or .csv files pulls only the first 255 columns.

There’s a work-around.  In workbook B, link to the PowerPivot table range in workbook A.  Convert the workbook B range to a table.  Finally, in workbook B create a linked table in PowerPivot.  All 255+ columns will be added to a PowerPivot table.

Here’s a link to the solution I came across:  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/06ff6ff8-7882-41ce-9a26-4b61d10d011c/how-many-columns-in-a-csv-should-powerpivot-support?forum=sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel

Does anyone have a better way of creating a 255+ column PowerPivot table from .xlsx or .csv data?

Cheers,

Ron

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Ron,

Welcome back to the PowerPivotPro forums with a new topic!

I do not have a direct answer to your question, but instead a thought. Whenever I see an exceptionally wide table (such as might come from salesforce.com), I am mightily convinced that it should be reshaped into related multiple tables.

So my solution would be to use Power Query (or another ETL resource) to reshape the data before importing into Power Pivot.

Tom

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Power Pivot’ is closed to new topics and replies.