Home Forums Power Pivot Version 1705 (Build 8201.2193)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michel Dubois 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

wardw
    Participant
    • Started: 2
    • Replies: 6
    • Total: 8

Is anyone else having issues with Version 1705 (Build 8201.2193)?

None of our users that updated recently can refresh the data model. Refresh of individual queries and refresh all both process indefinitely.

No issues refreshing in Version 1701 (Build 7766.2099).

Michel Dubois
    Participant
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 5
    • Total: 5

Yes, I’m stuck too.

Processing time went from 10-15 minutes to 12-20 hours.

Any news on this ?

Michel Dubois
    Participant

A new version “Version 1705 (Build 8201.2200) was just released (as of Oct 10 late PM).

I am trying it right now.

Michel Dubois
    Participant

New newer version did not work too.

I went back to the old version (June 2017 with updates) using the following command and my processing time is back to normal.

I don’t know how to get Microsoft in the loop about this major problem.

Command to revert to previous working version. Also, disable the update in excel

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun> OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.7766.2119

wardw
    Participant

We also reverted – such a pain and very concerning.

We tried 1705 (Build 8201.2171) and Version 1708 (Build 8431.2079) with no success but have not tried Version 1705 (Build 8201.2200).  Will give it a shot.

Thanks for jumping in the thread – misery loves company

wardw
    Participant

Hey Michel,

Do you have many (or large) linked tables in your model?

We have a number of linked tables, but the vast majority are not enabled for refresh all. One of them is massive at ~1M rows and 35 columns (not enabled for refresh all). A couple of smaller link-back tables are refreshed in refresh all though.

Linked / link-back tables have always seemed to be the most problematic/inconsistent for us (even in the “good” versions). Have been working towards replacing them all on a hunch that they may be the source of our new frustration.

Ran into the recent “where did my ‘linked tables’ tab go to?” thread and am taking it as a bit of validation (seems like they are changing the way these connections are handled). Could be totally off base, but no other leads to chase at this point.

wardw
    Participant

Does the power pivot pro crew have any feedback here? Surely they’ve experienced issues with large and/or complex models on these new versions if we are?

Michel Dubois
    Participant

I have not one linked table anywhere in the workbook.

about 7 million rows in 50 tables.

Data only loaded to model, not to worksheet tables.

Michel Dubois
    Participant

A bit more info on my Power query queries:

• All Power query loads data only in the “Data Model”
    • “Fast Data Load” option set to Enable
    • Data sources are: REST api, MySQL queries, MySQL tables, Local Workbook tables
    • The Model is a cripple Star Schema with basically 7 facts tables ~6M rows and 40 dimensions (most small except User dim > 1M)

I was looking at processexplorer call stack for Excel and the process seamed to be stuck in a recursive call of some calculation function.

The problem is directly linked with a code change the Excel team did if you ask me. Upgraded version: Problem appeared; Downgraded version: Problem disappeared.

This problem was entered here (powerpivotpro.com) and at the following two Microsoft sites:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f5a6c5a6-cf1c-458c-8bb2-c7d482b90df5/data-model-wont-refresh-in-excel-version-1705-build-82012193?forum=excel

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Get-and-Transform-Data/data-model-wont-refresh-in-excel-version-1705-build-8201-2193/m-p/115292/highlight/false

So, we are not alone.

Michel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.