Home Forums Power Pivot The Future of Power BI?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Collie 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

zackgregory12
    Participant
    • Started: 3
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 4

I was wondering if somebody could explain what Microsoft is trying to do with the various derivatives of the Power BI suite. For example, you have the Excel add-ins (PQ, PP, PV, etc.), and then you have not only the Power BI web tool, but also the Power BI desktop app and Power BI mobile apps.

From my perspective, it seems like the Power BI website tool is kind of a ‘test prototype’ that Microsoft hopes will eventually replace the Excel add-ins (Power Query, PowerPivot, Power View, etc.). However, that is just my very big assumption from what I’ve observed.

To state this inquiry another way: I’m not really sure when to use the Power BI website vs. the Power BI Excel add-ins. I don’t understand why all of these different tools exist that all serve the same purpose.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance!

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Hello ZackGregory,

Tools may overlap in purpose, but not everyone wants to use Excel for their reporting and dashboard needs.

Mark Walter
    Participant
    • Started: 9
    • Replies: 19
    • Total: 28

I wonder the same thing Zach.  PP, PQ, PV, PM, PBI, PBI.COM.. and an acquired dashboard (datazen?).. all i can come up w is that they are offering these tools un-bundled to sell them as seperate subscriptions.

i would be surprised if over time we dont see some of these tools brought together and the redunant ones go away.

power BI is a nice way to try out dashboards on your own machine.. w/o having to buy and publish through a sever.. and BI.com is the tool used to get the info out to the users.. thats my understanding.

Rob Collie
    Keymaster
    • Started: 1
    • Replies: 2
    • Total: 3

I’m going to post tomorrow on this exact topic 🙂

(On the main site, not the forums).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Power Pivot’ is closed to new topics and replies.