Home Forums Power Pivot Queries disappeared

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  KCantor 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

KCantor
    Participant
    • Started: 13
    • Replies: 30
    • Total: 43

I have a PowerPivot that used to have several queries pulled in through power query. This workbook was 147 mb. Today it is 90 mb and the power query  pane shows 0 queries. The data model still contains all tables pulled in but they cannot be refreshed or modified as it says the connection has disappeared. I have tried restoring to a previous version but it lacks the queries as well. Can someone tell me what happened?

And of course, this is the only workbook that I didn’t have a redundant copy of.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Ouch!

Are you using Excel 2016? If so, this could be the same on issue reported on another forum topic (fix may already be available to prevent future occurrences):

Losing data model connection in Excel 2016

Please check out the last few posts from the link above, especially comments by Howie Dickerman, who had worked on the fix at Microsoft around early to mid December 2015 and check if any of the conditions relate to your situation (especially to check if the latest MS fixes had been applied or not).

Definitely contact support at Microsoft and let them know. Also, if you are using Excel 2016, you may want to copy your post here and paste it on the above linked topic (the last I checked, Howie Dickerman was included to receive emails).

Also, if you do not have a copy of DAX Studio, you may want to download the latest release (free) version from here

https://daxstudio.codeplex.com/

DAX Studio will, among other benefits, allow you to extract formulas for your measures and calculated fields into an external text file or worksheet. Just in case you do not have the DAX Studio statements to extract measures and calculated columns from the Power Pivot model, they are listed below:

— Use to extract measures

select MeasureGroup_Name, Measure_Name, Expression
    from $System.MDSchema_Measures
    where Measure_Aggregator = 0
    and istext(Expression)
    order by MeasureGroup_Name + Measure_Name

— Use to extract calculated columns

select distinct Database_Name, Object_Type, [Table], Object, Expression, Referenced_Object_Type,
    Referenced_Table,
    Referenced_Object, Referenced_Expression, Query from $system.DISCOVER_CALC_DEPENDENCY
    where (Object_Type = ‘Calc_Column’)
    and [Referenced_Table] = [Table]
    and [Referenced_Object_Type] = ‘Column’
    order by [Object]

Please post your progress here!

Tom

KCantor
    Participant

I am using 2013 and haven’t had an issue of my PowerPivot Tab disappearing in several months. My data model is also still intact and functioning. I simply cannot refresh queries and the PowerQuery pane shows 0 queries.

The only error I am getting is a random Linguistic Schema failed to update error which I have not been able to pin down. It comes in the PowerPivot Window when refreshing data.

While this is frustrating, the DAX I use is used elsewhere in other reports. I can co-opt a different report and change it to suit my needs. Was just hoping to find out what caused this to prevent it from occurring again in the future to a report less adaptable to being rebuilt.

Thank you for the information on extracting DAX. I will file that away for future use.

KCantor
    Participant

As an update: I still have not heard from Microsoft on this issue. I still have my data model and it still functions with static data. I cannot refresh as it says I have zero queries in Power Query but in PowerPivot it tells me I cannot access those tables due to them being created in Power Query.

I cannot work with the connections as they ‘exist’ in PowerQuery which says that they do not exist.

If any Microsoft folks hang around in here maybe they can dig up my ticket . . .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Power Pivot’ is closed to new topics and replies.