Home Forums Power Update New feature – start on trigger

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sapnasingh 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ElvirM
    Participant
    • Started: 4
    • Replies: 8
    • Total: 12

Hey

I started to use power update and I think it is fantastic solution. I had some problems at beginning but now it runs.

I am missing one option. A lot of time I don’t know when should I start jobs, since I would have to wait for other jobs to finish.

I was wondering whether it would make sense to start jobs by some sort of notification. Maybe it would be a good idea to check one refreshed file value or something and if it says ok then refresh all.

Other idea would be to have possibilities to execute a query or something to check if start is ok.

Right now I have workaround to start my job every half hour, but it makes a lot of unnecesary queries on the database.

Thank you

Keep up the good work

Best regards,

Elvir

Charles
    • Started: 2
    • Replies: 189
    • Total: 191

If you want to add complex logic to running tasks, we recommend that you call PU from the command line using a script (e.g. Power Shell, VBA, or even T-SQL: http://klanguedoc.hubpages.com/hub/Using-xp_cmdshell-to-Query-the-Windows-File-System), and schedule the script using sql agent, or task scheduler.

Usage:

PQRefresh.exe task_name

If you’d like to wait for a return value (0 on success) use:

PU.exe task_name

Optional arguments (with example values):

Specify log file location:

-log:c:\log.txt

Specify list of files to run manually (for manual retries):

-files:c:\filelist.txt

Specify macros to run before the task:

-macros_before:”Macro1 arg1,Macro2 arg2″

Specify macros to run after the task:

-macros_after:”Macro1 arg1,Macro2 arg2″

Specify email recepient address on success:

-email_to:[email protected]

ElvirM
    Participant
    • Started: 4
    • Replies: 8
    • Total: 12

I am sorry, but it seams a bit confusing for me.

Is it possible to get ut of refresh procedure. Like I would write macro and it would check if procedures are over. If its over it would continue as planned and if not then I would like to cancel refresh action. Can you help me with macro.

Thank you for quick response

Charles
    • Started: 2
    • Replies: 189
    • Total: 191

Excel macros that run before or after the refresh of each workbook, and scripts that run entire Tasks are two different things.

With Excel macros you can implement your own refresh logic replacing Power Updates’ default refresh procedure (by ticking “Don’t refresh workbook connections” and specifying Macros to run, on the “Advanced Settings” page of the Task Wizard) E.g. If refreshing a connection succeeds fails do a certain action (like refresh the next connection or exit).

With scripts you can implement logic for how Tasks are run. E.g. If an entire Task (with on or more workbooks) succeeds or fails do a certain action (like go to another task or exit).

sapnasingh
    Participant
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 1

Yes, you are right I have heard this on Microsoft forum here at https://www.surfwindows.com they are saying A service can register to be started or stopped when a <b>trigger</b> event occurs. This eliminates the need for services to <b>start</b> when the system <b>starts</b>, or for services to poll or actively wait for an event; a service can <b>start</b> when it is needed, instead of <b>starting</b> automatically whether or not there is work to do.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.