Home Forums Power Pivot Need method to prep combined Name & Activity & Subj column

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tomallan 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

rsiegmund
    Participant
    • Started: 3
    • Replies: 13
    • Total: 16

After adding the rest of the steps you demonstrated in the example file, most importantly the step that selected a subset of rows using Table.SelectRows, I end up with about 52K rows that do load.  But this makes me think that I will eventually have some difficulty somewhere down the road with 32-bit Excel.

Anyway, lots of progress so far, now have datedim (from Marco) and time dim (from http://ginameronek.com/2014/10/01/its-just-a-matter-of-time-power-bi-date-time-dimension-toolkit/) and things are looking good.

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Rob Collie recommends 64 bit Excel for Power Pivot. I have followed his advice and do not worry like I used to when working with 32 bit Excel 2010.

I would also recommend looking into Office 365 Pro Plus when upgrading to 64 bit version. When I signed up, subscription included downloading Office 2013 Pro Plus on up to 5 computers (I have 3, so the cost of subscription divided over 3 machines was a good deal). If you do go the Office 365 Pro Plus path, see http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-install-the-64-bit-version-of-office-365/ for how to install the 64 bit version (32 bit is default download).

On another note, I visited Gina Meronek’s site and read up on her time dimension toolkit. Looked interesting.

Tom

rsiegmund
    Participant
    • Started: 3
    • Replies: 13
    • Total: 16

Interesting … So I guess you had instabilities with 32-bit that got better with 64-bit?  I’m getting crashes every hour or so, have gotten extremely careful to save early and often 😉

I do have Office 365 Pro Plus, as does everyone in our agency, and it sounds like I’m going to have to switch to the 64-bit version for it and Power Pivot.

I made great progress today, now have at least a skin-deep understanding of M language features which I used to do more field parsing for constructs that start with ID-STATE, where ID = END; CSO; QUO; QUOX and STATE varies for each ID type, such as END-NEW; END-SNT; END-PND; END-RVW; END-FUP; END-FUPFIN, etc.  Separating these into two new columns gave me exposure to a variety of text functions and If then else, and was complicated by the fact that these are all human entered so the data cleanliness is pretty poor.  My powers are growing!

Next up is figuring out how to create pretty dashboards and reports and importantly how to share them.

Am I correct in assuming that if I stay within Excel & Power Pivot, I can share an excel workbook created with Power Query and Power Pivot on a 64-bit platform with one or more users who don’t have Power QUery and are on 32-bit?  They would only be able to view the dashboard, not refresh data or modify anything.

I listened to AVI’s pitch the other day on PowerBI.com and it seems that the world hasn’t evolved enough yet to allow my PowerPivot to be a data connection to PowerBI.com, right?  So if I were to switch to use PowerBI.com I would be jumping to a parallel universe which more of some features and less of others, right?

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Hi,

As long as the 32-bit user of Excel has 2013 and your workbook size does not exceed the capacity of their computer I think your users will be OK.

Attached is a sample workbook generated with 64-bit Excel 2013 containing a pivot and a chart which have data that was imported into Power Pivot via Power Query that you could use to evaluate machines running 32-bit Excel without Power Query (if there is a need to show due diligence before upgrading your edition of Office 2013).

Regarding Power Pivot and PowerBI.com models, my experiences with PowerBI.com models are limited, but I try to listen closely to the actual words that are used because I think that while it is true that a PowerBI.com dashboard cannot use a Power Pivot model as its source, I believe it is also true that there are many components of an Excel Power Pivot model such as connections and measures that can be imported (converted) into Power BI Desktop models which then are fed into dashboards elements on PowerBI.com (see https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-import-excel-workbooks/ ).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Power Pivot’ is closed to new topics and replies.