Home Forums Power Pivot MAX of a SUMMARIZED Column

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  RonBarrett 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

RonBarrett
    Participant
    • Started: 13
    • Replies: 12
    • Total: 25

SUMMARIZE() and SUMMARIZECOLUMNS() provide interesting ways to obtain a summary table of values. The function allows for the creation of an expression column name and the column’s expression (e.g. sum of amount). My question is this, if these functions return a “virtual” table with column(s) of summary values, is it possible to apply one of the expression columns to a function that accepts a column input, such as MAX() or VALUES()??

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Ron,

Great to hear from you!

For “virtual” columns inside of DAX formula: Instead of MAX(), consider MAXX(). Instead of VALUES(), consider a SUMMARIZE() that selects one column from another SUMMARIZE().

If there are multiple references to the same virtual table in a single formula, variables will help with both readability and performance.

You can read an interesting post about SUMMARIZE and SUMMARIZECOLUMNS here. Apparently SUMMARIZECOLUMNS was created to be a better function than SUMMARIZE, but SUMMARIZECOLUMNS has produced its own share of surprises.

Tom

RonBarrett
    Participant
    • Started: 13
    • Replies: 12
    • Total: 25

Hi Tom,

Great to hear from you, too!

Yes, I also studied the Italian articles on SUMMARIZE and SUMMARIZECOLLUMNS. The articles are a resource for understanding their functionality. What I found lacking as the incorporation of the functions as a table parameter within a DAX aggregation function.

Hmmm… would this make an interesting topic for a PowerPivotPro blog post?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Power Pivot’ is closed to new topics and replies.