Home Forums Power Pivot Key or Indexing before load

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  01UKSparky01 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

01UKSparky01
    Participant
    • Started: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 2

Hello,

Newbie question: If I have a fact table and a number of dimension tables, should I create (within Power Query) keys/indexes relating the two table types, replacing various text columns with their corresponding indexes within the dimension tables before loading to the data model. Or, does the Data Model engine take care of this during it’s ‘powerful compression techniques’ processing… I guess the question is, does it pay-off to have Power Query transform the various tables creating index relationship columns (saving the Data Model engine the effort) or should I just leave this to the Data Model engine to sort for me, creating (detecting) relationships between the text columns of the fact and dimension tables (assuming the engine creates hidden indexes during its compression processes?

Thanks, M.

01UKSparky01
    Participant
    • Started: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 2

Update: https://exceleratorbi.com.au/create-lookup-table-power-pivot/ under section Pointless Dimension Tables suggests at a simple level I don’t need to worry about this as xVelocity takes care…? Is this right? Regards, M.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.