Home Forums Power Update HDD vs SSD 2.5" vs m.2

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PentaGalDad 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

amirljubovic
    Participant
    • Started: 1
    • Replies: 2
    • Total: 3

Hi everyone

I am currently running excel 2016 64bit with powerpivot and thanks to powerpivot doing things I could imagine doing in excel several tears ago.

However, now I am getting slowed down due to the size of my files which are about 2GB. With my currnt HDD it takes up to 3 minutes to open and load the model as well as to save the document.

I was thinking it is time to upgrade to SSD or M.2 to speed things up.

But my question is .. would a SSD or M.2 disk speed up load/save time and if so .. for how much.

For example … if my HDD who is running R/W speed at max 100 Mb/s take 3 minutes to load/save … would a SSD like samsung 850 who has a R/W speed of 500 Mb/s take 5 times less time to load/save my workbook and powerpivot model.

As well how would it impact on calculation speed which is currently anoyingly slow.

If the disk would improve my situation is it worth going for an M.2 like samsung 960 (who has W/R speed of 2000-3000 Mb/s or a 2.5″ SSD like samsung 850 would take the same effect.

I am running on 16 Gb of ram on a Intel Xeon processor … and thinking of upgrading to 32gb for better speed ..if that would do?

Please tell me what you think or whqt are your experiences and opnions?

Regards

amirljubovic
    Participant

Of I missed the right place to post this please move this to another Topic

amirljubovic
    Participant

Anyone?

Please ????

PentaGalDad
    Participant
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 1

I replaced my HDD with SSD two years ago and can’t cite the specifics but I do recall my boot time was cut from 2 minutes to 30 seconds, Excel Program load was cut in half, large data model loads were improved but sheer file size and i/o limits of SSD obviously come into play here. BTW my SSD was not leading edge at the time and certainly slow by today’s standards.

Calculation time was not improved by SSD.

I too have 16GB memory, but notice in Task Manager I seldom use more than a few GB. Suggest you monitor your memory usage before investing in 32GB.

Another dynamic in play here… as Power Query has evolved over the past few years… I do more & more ETL type processing in PQ before data ever gets to PowerPivot. The SSD certainly helps PQ with data loads from local files… and now my data models are somewhat simpler and more efficient.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Power Update’ is closed to new topics and replies.