Home Forums Power BI Full Outer Join with Conditions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  carlcimino 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

carlcimino
    Participant
    • Started: 1
    • Replies: 3
    • Total: 4

Hello, I have two data tables.  A current and a prior.  I’m trying to perform a full outer join in power query that will enable me to calculate if an account is in prior but not current and vice versa.  It will also allow me to calculate the change in amounts if it is in both.  I can accomplish this in SQL but am struggling to do so via power query. The excel file attached is a sample of the current and prior tables.  Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

tomallan
    Keymaster
    • Started: 0
    • Replies: 417
    • Total: 417

Carl,

Attached is one of the files used to perform a full outer join between prior and current.

Steps taken include: explicitly naming each table, creating power queries for each named table and then loading each as connection only.

Used the Merge feature to combine the two tables, with the join option of full outer join.

Before merging can complete, you need to specify the columns in each table to join. After combining the tables, you still need to expand the second table (the right-side table).

Tom

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

carlcimino
    Participant

Thanks looks like it does what I need.  My question is how did you accomplish it with the powerquery applied steps?  Did you have to write the dax for the Expanded NewColumn step?  I can’t figure out how you did that.

carlcimino
    Participant

Nevermind I found the Expand NewColumn button on the Transform ribbon.  Sorry should have looked harder or googled!  Thanks for your help!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Full Outer Join with Conditions’ is closed to new replies.